Wednesday 6 May 2009

Truro to Tregolls farm with some Indian Queens along the way...

Tuesday 5th May

well this was my first long distance walk and I knew from the get-go
that it was going to be tough. Leaving Truro was a bit of a shame as
I'd not really had enough time to have a look around.

The only real sights I saw were at the William IV pub, when I was
firstly dumbstruck by the serloin steak I got for next to nothing, and
secondly by the barmaid (good to see my priorities are in order)...
but back to the walk!

As you enter the middle of Truro, or in my case leave, you are
overwhelmed by possibly the grandest cathedral this side of the
Vatican. however, after a few snaps it was time I made tracks.

if the whole of this leg were as enjoyable as the first 2 hours, I'd
have arrived at Tregolls farm with a spring in my step and a smile on
my face. alas it wasn't the case and with the fact that every shop
and pub was closed at lunchtime (very Spanish out here), I was totally
out of steam. for this reason I dumped my stuff at a campsite a few
miles outside of the farm and hunted down some dinner.

what I haven't said yet is that this campsite hosts a clearly buzzing
tourist hotspot, namely "Gnome World". I actually couldn't believe my
eyes when I arrived at the gates but I was in no mood to walk any
further.
The people in their static homes resembled the scene from Deliverence
as I skulked past them to the lonely tent area, but the further away
from the gnomes the better in my eyes.

I've also avoided the name of the village in which this campsite
resides... "Indian Queens"... it had to be good didn't it. With
places such as Pocahontus Ave and a fish n chip restaurant that claims
to be one of the top 10 in England, you'd think the villagers would be
typical friendly Cornish and greet you with a nod, smile and or "ello
there". no, they are in fact completely miserable, even to each
other. it was like the cast of eastenders being forces to live in a
fruity sounding village - in wellies.

and that fish n chip "restaurant" makes me wonder which judge was
bribed for that title seeming as any place with a sign that reads;
"all burgers are now battered once fried. no refunds will be given -
the management.", is clearly hiding something. big push to make up
lost ground tomorrow. night

No comments:

Post a Comment