Sunday 7 June 2009

Mon 1st June - Newchurch Common to Warrington...

I woke to yet again another gloriously clear morning, with not a cloud in the sky.  Hobbling over to Ian & Lynn's caravan, I could smell the BBQ already in full effect and licked my lips once I saw there was a fresh full English on the way.

With the state of my ankle I knew that I wasn't going to be rushing off today, so took it easy and made the most of Ian and Lynn's company whilst their dogs attempted to circle the table like sharks, picking off any morsels that were unlucky enough to leave the safety of the work surface.

My tent wasn't going to pack itself - no matter how hard I wished it did - so I began to pack away all my gear with one major pain in the bum.  Even before I was walking, I was sweating like a pig... it was even hotter than yesterday and it was only around 10am!

Once I was packed and showered, I returned to Ian & Lynn to thank them for their lifesaving kindness.  They let me know that if I wanted, I could crash at their house and rest up my leg seeming as my route passed where they lived anyway.  Without a second thought, I agreed and hobbled out the entrance to the campsite with a bit more of a sense of direction.

In no time at all, I was melting into the pavement however my spirits were kept high by the tuneful honks from cars.  It didn't stop at honks, with one old couple turning their car around to have a chat with me and let me know their grandson was just returning from Afghanistan as a Royal Marine.  His mother had died when the grandson was a toddler and the grandparents had looked after him since.  They were immensely proud, which showed as both of them had tears in their eyes when talking about him. 

Once I reached Warrington, I passed the insanely rich side of town and wondered into the less desirable area where I'd managed to track down a B&B.  Just as I was starting to think I was gonna get murdered, a lorry driver pulled up beside me and managed to block an entire road in order to lean across and hand me a fiver.

"Good lad, get yourself a pint" he shouted from the cab before pulling off to the delight of all the drivers behind him.

I finally arrived at the door to the B&B and rang the doorbell... and again... and again.  For about 5-10mins I was ringing and alas, no answer.  I called the B&B to say I was outside, but the doorbell wasn't working and a frantic sounding woman said she was on her way.  In a tornado of bath towels, she opened the door wearing next to nothing, the bath towel covering only the vitals.

I know what you're thinking - Ed's struck gold here - you're wrong... very wrong! It was like a hippo with a glandular problem greeting me.  So feeling along the walls with my eyes closed, I made my way to the bedroom and crashed out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment