Sunday 7 June 2009

Sun 31st May - Market Drayton to Lancaster... more entries to come soon!

I left Market Drayton very early to try and make some progress before the sun made my life a misery.  It didn't last long as even the early morning sun roasted me like a spud.

After 6 hours I'd already gone through more than 2 liters of water and needed more as soon as possible.  I felt myself mentally wondering off and becoming easily bored, a clear sign I was getting dehydrated (either that or I was actually just bored out of my mind).  Necking a gallon of water, I used the time to phone home and check everyone was safe and sound.

As I hauled my bag onto my back and returned to the fun of the roads, I felt my left ankle really tightening up.  I'd twisted it moving out of the way for a lorry, but after taking a quick look, it didn't feel like I'd done anything major to it - even if it didn't feel that way.  I then looked at my maps, picked the closest campsite I could find and popped a few pain killers to ease me back into my stride.

Even though I was in a lot of pain and was trying to get to the campsite at Newchurch Common as soon as possible, I couldn't help but notice the amount of money flying around this area (sometimes quite literally).  I barely saw a single car that wasn't a Ferrari or similar; not to mention the private choppers that were delivering people here and there... rich buggers... Unfortunately for me, I didn't have time to hang around and drool at the beautiful women in their cars, I needed to bed down and let me leg heal.

Taking a second to glance at my watch, I realised I'd been walking for over 12 hours in temperatures that could have cooked an egg or ten.  Because of this, I must have looked a real mess as I passed a guy walking his dogs outside the front of the campsite entrance - however that was my last concern as the campsite wasn't tent friendly YET AGAIN!!!

Seeing the no camping sign, my heart totally sank and in the state I was in there was no way I could have gone any further.  I decided to hunt down the owner and either beg or force him or her to let me stay.  Luckily I didn't have to remotely beg as the owner (Mike) instantly warmed to my cause and pointed me over to a corner of the site they kept for just such an occasion... PHEW!

After peeling my shoes off and setting up my tent, I seriously needed something to eat.  Mike came over and handed me two freshly laid eggs from his hens. so I politely accepted them and sat down in front of my tent with one in each hand.  In a trance, I sat there looking at the eggs before saying to myself "what the hell am I supposed to do with these?" - I had no way of cooking them, except for on my sunburn.

The sound of gravel under feet brought me out of my daze and I looked round to see the man who had been walking his dogs heading my way.  With a very welcoming smile, he introduced himself as Ian.

"Hello, I saw your flag out front and wondered what you were up to..."

I explained what I was up to and he proceeded to actually safe a human life by inviting me over to have a BBQ with him and his wife Lynn.  Obviously I had to refrain to leaping into his arms and kissing him with joy, so with a massive smile I launched my kit into the tent at light speed and joined them for dinner.

They were a fantastic couple and we chatted about our lives, families and such, 'til the sun went down.  Lynn's brother is currently serving in the RAF as a dog handler, so she was especially happy to know I cared about helping our troops.  Ian also had friends who had served with the paras, so smiles all round as the BBQ died down.  There were no words for how much I enjoyed both the company and BBQ, including the couple of beers that accompanied the evening which went down faaaaar too easily for my liking.

Reluctantly I headed back to my tent to get some sleep and chuckled to myself as I found two bottles of beer propping up the entrance to my tent.  I'd instantly bonded with Ian & Lynn and they'd kindly invited me back for brekkie in the morning, so whilst sipping on one of my fresh beers I whipped out todays maps... 29 miles... ouch!


No comments:

Post a Comment